About the Index | List of countries This is a collection of local flavor and sources of information about United Kingdom, with a focus on individual voices. Please add other sources below. See the Bridge Index style guide for advice on how to list new sources on this page. +/-
Note that the United Kingdom is comprised of constituent nations: England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. Within each there are nationalist parties and organisations struggling for autonomy or Independence. Currently Scotland has its own Parliament, established after a long (non-violent) campaign of protests, referenda and elections. This Parliament only has very limited powers (and excludes, for example, foreign affairs), but the majority of the population wants these extended and there is a distinct possibility that Scotland will be independent in the near future. In Wales there is a national assembly which does not have the lawmaking powers of the Scottish Parliament, but again, is viewed by many as a first stage along a progression to increasing autonomy. In Northern Ireland there is a Legislative Assembly, but this has been in suspension following political difficulties over the negotiated peace agreements. A substantial proportion of the population in this "province" favour unification with the Republic of Ireland, whilst others advocate a continued union with England.
- Kingdom/ Flickr photos tagged "United Kingdom"
- Kingdom The del.icio.us "United Kingdom" tag
- Kingdom Technorati tag "United Kingdom"
- Kingdom Technorati posts that mention "United Kingdom"
See more at the Esperanto page.
UK blogs in EnglishEdit
- [Small Nation http://wwwsmallnation.blogspot.com/ Scottish culture and politics viewed from Ireland and links with other small nations around the world]
The best place to start.
The next stop.
- Sciencebase Science Blog Bringing Science Down to Earth
The geek stop.
UK blogs with an internation focusEdit
- BBC Blog Network Blogs about various news topics from local, national, and international perspectives
- BBC World Service's World Have Your Say Connecting people from all over the world on a daily basis for a global conversation about major news and issues facing the world
- Amnesty blogs - A Day in the life... Amnesty International UK's blog - A Day in the life...- is intended to encourage awareness of human rights issues as well as providing an online community of activists, members and local groups.